Monday, August 1, 2011

Watermelon Salsa

I made watermelon salsa twice last week and both times I have had someone ask me how to make it. Well I thought it they were asking for it, you might like to have it too. Okay first things first, I love having this bad boy in my back pocket because it is unexpected and is super easy to make if you are having folks over or if you are going to a party at someones place. Second things second I have to give a shout out to my cousin* Sandy because she introduced me to the amazingness that is watermelon salsa. Third things third lets get this show on the road!

What you need:
1/2 a small(ish) seedless watermelon
1 red onion
1/2 bunch of cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers
juice of 2 limes
salt to taste
sharp knife
cutting board (notice my cut yellow one, you know because yellow is my THANG)

What you'll do is:
Chop, chop, chop! Yep that is the big secret lots of chopping. Dice the watermelon, mince the onion and the jalapeno, chop the cilantro and toss everything into a big bowl. Mix and mix and mix some more, no really I hat when salads and the such are not mixed well. Now lets see, oh yes, juice the limes and season with the salt to taste. And there you have it! See I told you, ever so easy.

Some tips and serving ideas:
Cut your watermelon small and even, your pieces should be square with sides no bigger than a quarter inch. Same goes for your onion small even pieces. As for the peppers, I don't know if this is the best way to cut hot peppers, but it is the way I always do it; cut each pepper in half and remove the seeds. My trick for removing the seeds is to work under running water. Then cut the pepper into tiny pieces.
I have only ever hat this salsa with chips. But I have been thinking of other ways to enjoy it, my dad put some one his taco the other night and I think it would be great over a white fish, yep that sounds yummy!

* I think it is high time that I put this disclaimer out there, for the record as a girl from a big close knit family when I use the word cousin I might mean anything from my actual cousin, to my mom's cousin that I'm face book friends with, to my 1st cousin once removed to my dad's sister's husband's identical twin brother's daughters (yep that is a totally true thing and they are totally fun and cool gals!). So there you have it sometimes a cousin is really a cousin and sometimes it is someone you're not even really related to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...